So said the British Institute of Innkeeping (BII) in September 2008 about 12 months after the smoking ban. I am immensely indebted to Chris Snowdon and his blog for the info. http://velvetgloveironfist.blogspot.com/ other key findings included:
- The proportion of smoking customers dropped from 54% to 38%;
- 66% reported that their smoking customers were staying for shorter periods;
- 75% reported that smokers were visiting less frequently;
- 47% of businesses had laid off staff, although 5% had recruited additional staff;
- Income from drinks fell by 9.8%;
- Income from gaming machines fell by 13.5%.
Does anyone wonder why anyone believes a damn word that ASH come up with?