Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) are still funded by the taxpayer

Are ASH still funded by the taxpayer?

According to Earl Howe in Hansard no was the answer on:

“26 Apr 2011 : Column WA1 

Written Answers

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Action on Smoking and Health

Question

Asked by Lord Naseby

To ask Her Majesty’s Government how much public money was given to Action on Smoking and Health in 2009-10; how much was budgeted for 2010-11; and whether this will be cut in 2011-12. [HL8180]

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department of Health (Earl Howe): Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) received funding of £210,000 in 2009-10 and £220,000 in 2010-11 through the department’s Section 64 General Scheme of Grants to Voluntary and Community Organisations. ASH received these grants specifically to carry out a defined project entitled Capitalising on Smokefree: the way forward.

ASH did not make a grant application to the department’s Third Sector Investment Programme: Innovation, Excellence and Service Development Fund for 2011-12. The department currently has no other plans to provide ASH with funding in the next financial year.”

National treasure Philip Davies on the 15th June posed this question to Health Secretary Anne Milton.

Philip Davies (Shipley, Conservative)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health whether funding allocated toAction on Smoking and Health by his Department may be used for lobbying purposes by that body.

Photo of Anne MiltonAnne Milton (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Public Health), Health; Guildford, Conservative)Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) has received funding from the Department in the past, through the Department’s ‘Section 64 General Scheme of Grants to voluntary and Community Organisations’. ASH received these grants specifically to carry out defined projects.None of this funding was, or could be used, for lobbying purposes.”

Earl Howe said let me remind you said “The department currently has no other plans to provide ASH with funding in the next financial year.”

I have since received this letter from the Department of Health, it says:

“At the time of Lord Howe’s statement, no decision has been made about whether to award a Section 64 grant to Action on Smoking and Health for 2011-2012. A grant of £150,000 has subsequently been awarded to ASH for work to support the delivery of some of the commitments in the Tobacco Control Plan for England, published last year.”

No peace for the wicked.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201011/ldhansrd/text/110426w0001.htm

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2011-06-15e.59718.h

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) are still funded by the taxpayer

  1. Sheila says:

    With all the current debates going on about the NHS, perhaps now would be a good time to educate the general public just where all their hard earned cash is going.

  2. Junican says:

    So I think that we can safely say that there is a conspiracy going on?

  3. Frank J says:

    Par for the course with tobacco Control. Mislead, dissemble and/or lie. They only know one way. But it shows just how sensitive and fragile it all is when it has to be slipped under the radar.

  4. Rose says:

    “But it shows just how sensitive and fragile it all is when it has to be slipped under the radar”

    The whole thing seems to have been slipped under the radar.
    I had no idea that there had even been a treaty until 2008, but someone always lets the cat out of the bag.

    Anbumani Ramadoss – 2008

    “He said 152 countries had signed a WHO-supported international agreement to ban the production of tobacco products in a phased manner.”
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Now_Ramadoss_wants_ban_on_tobacco_products/rssarticleshow/3553096.cms

    16th December, 2004
    MORE THAN A MILLION FEWER SMOKERS SINCE 1998

    Two thirds of the way down the article.

    “On the same day as these statistics were published, the UK ratified the World Health Organisation Framework Convention on Tobacco Control.”
    http://gov-news.org/gov/uk/news/more_than_a_million_fewer_smokers_since_1998/77507.html

    I try to keep abreast of the news but did anyone else read this in any newspaper or news programme at the time? I certainly didn’t.
    You would have thought that something that would affect so many people and change their lives so dramatically, should have been first item on every news programme.

  5. rightoverleft says:

    There must be an enormous amount of other stuff which has been deliberately witheld from us. Whatever happened to democracy and consent ?

  6. Rose says:

    Just in

    Health Ministry accepts controversial WHO alcohol proposals

    “Poland’s Health Ministry has accepted a controversial raft of proposals from the World Health Organisation (WHO) designed to counter alcohol abuse in the EU.
    The WHO document proposes that all liquor stores must be licenced by the state, and that these shops should only be open for business for only eight hours per day.
    Some alcohol shops in Poland are currently open through the night.

    Although EU countries are not immediately obliged to create legislation in response to the document, the EC will begin work on a new strategy to confront alcohol abuse this spring.”
    http://www.thenews.pl/1/12/Artykul/90297,Health-Ministry-accepts-controversial-WHO-alcohol-proposals

    Obliged? Did someone sign something or do such formalities no longer matter?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s